Work boots are great, offering superior protection and comfort to your feet. Nonetheless, it can hurt you, particularly when you wear it for the first time. It happens because all work boots need to break in to feel comfortable to your feet. It is crucial to avoid blisters and burning sensations around your feet, which is the last thing you would want in the workplace.
That’s why it is important to know how long does it take to break in work boots?
Usually, it takes three to five days for the work boot to break in entirely. It depends on the type of material used on the upper and midsole. As you wear the work boots slowly, the upper and midsole soften and adjust with your natural foot movement. So, you will get rid of blisters and burning sensations.
Since the work boots need three to five days to break in properly, you shouldn’t wear them continuously during this period. Instead, alternate between your older and newer pair of work boots until the new one feels comfy. Plus, wear thicker socks during the breaking in time to prevent your feet from the pain.
Also, you can break in the work boosts using the hammer, boot stretchers, mink oil, warm water, or even ice bags. We will discuss it in the following parts.
- How Long Does It Take To Break In Work Boots?
- How long does it take to break in leather work boots?
- Is It Important To Break In Work Boots?
- What happens when you wear a work boot without breaking it in?
- Top Hacks On How To Break In Work Boots:
- Do’s and Don’ts for Breaking In Work Boots
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Final Words
How Long Does It Take To Break In Work Boots?
When you wear the new work boot, its interior will rub against your feet. The continuous rubbing against the skin of your leg will cause pain, blisters, and even a burning sensation. It happens until the interior becomes softer and finds a way to confront your feet. This period of the work boot getting softer is known as the break in period.
So, how long does it take for new shoes to break in?
Usually, work boots will need anywhere between three to five days to break in and offer you excellent support. The breaking in period varies depending on its material and which breaking in method you choose.
For instance, you can use warm water to break in the boots within a few hours overnight. On the contrary, mink oils can break in the boots in less than 1 hour. Nonetheless, a natural break in such as walking with the boots on your feet will need a couple of days to become softer and comfier.
If you are in a hurry, you may choose the active methods to force the work boots to soften within a few hours. Nonetheless, the natural breaking in period works best as it doesn’t put any external pressure on the work boot and extends its lifespan.
How long does it take to break in leather work boots?
Leather work boots such as EVER BOOTS Tank Men’s Full Grain Leather Work Boots come with great leather upper. It uses full-grain leather with premium quality and soft toes for comfort. If you wear work boots with such great leather upper, you will need to break them in within a few days.
You can wear leather work boots with thicker socks to break them in gradually. It will take a few days to soften the leather of the work boot. You can also break the boot within a few hours using a hairdryer or warm water.
So, here’s the take:
The leatherwork boot will need a few hours to a few days to break in and become softer for a comfortable wearing experience. The break in period of the leatherwork boot will depend on the break-in and softening process you choose.
Is It Important To Break In Work Boots?
You may wonder why you should break in work boots. Obviously, it improves the walking and standing comfort of the work boot. But, it has a few other astonishing benefits.
- When you break in the work boot, it becomes flexible. So, you can bend your feet with ease to meet the workplace requirements. Also, improved flexibility means you will love the added safety as it won’t put too much stress on your feet.
- You need to wear work boots all day long. Thus, it should be relaxing and comfy inside. When you break in the work boots, their inside becomes softer and comfier. So, you will enjoy it for wearing throughout the year. Also, a softer interior relieves your feet from additional pain.
- A properly broken in work boot reduces pain in the long term. Plus, you get rid of blisters and burning sensations. Thus, a softened work boot provides you with the best safety and comfort at the workplace.
What happens when you wear a work boot without breaking it in?
You might sometimes be in a hurry; you would wear the work boot without breaking it in properly. But is it recommendable?
We don’t recommend you wear the work boots without breaking them in properly. With the harder and not broken work boot, you will experience the following problems.
- You will experience blisters and bunions when you wear work boots without breaking them in properly. So, it becomes uncomfortable.
- Without breaking in the work boot, its insole and upper remain hard and inflexible. So, it increases the chance of hurting your feet.
- You will also lack proper fit without the broken in work boots. Thus, wearing them in the workplace is risky without breaking them appropriately.
- When you wear the work boots for too long without breaking them in, you will experience pain during daylong use. So, it is not recommended at all.
- If your work requires much walking or running, breaking in the work boot is a must. Otherwise, you will face extreme pain with them.
Top Hacks On How To Break In Work Boots:
When you bring the new pair of work boots with the right fit, the first question that evokes in your mind is the time required for it to become comfy and softer. Thus people ask, “How do you break in work boots fast?”
We have prepared this guideline on breaking in methods for work boots for them. So, let’s jump into it.
Wear the work boots at home:
You shouldn’t head directly to the workplace with the new work boots on your feet. Instead, wear it for a few days at home for a few hours daily. As you wear and walk with the work boots on your feet, it slowly adjusts themselves with your feet.
Also, work boots with a natural cork-made footbed will mold according to the shape of your feet. So, you will enjoy better comfort. Also, wear thicker socks to prevent blisters around the feet. Slowly increase the time to wear the work boots and let them break in naturally.
You may continue for 2 to 3 days this way. After that, you can wear it in the workplace regularly. But wear thicker socks for the next few days and enjoy the safety.
Use boot stretchers:
If you are in an absolute hurry and want to stretch your work boot almost immediately, relying on the boot stretchers will be the best decision. Boot stretchers are designed to stretch the shoes and boots with force. It helps them fit perfectly with the right shape and size. It is a mechanical tool and will apply force on the work boot for stretching it.
When you look at the stretcher, you will find a handle to stick with it. First, insert the mechanical boot stretcher inside the work shoe. Now, forcefully pull out the stick. Once done, remove the stretcher to see if the work boot has found its perfect size and shape. You may need to repeat the stretching of the work boot couple of times.
You may choose the Pestor Unisex Boot Stretcher for this purpose. It is a pretty handy tool for workers and is a one-time investment. Also, it makes your work boot stretching easy and fast.
Use leather conditioner
If you choose leather work boots, you can soften their leather fabric with the conditioner at ease. Although the leather softener will not break in your work boot entirely, it helps soften the fabric. So, you are less likely to face any blisters or burning sensations.
Also, leather conditioners will improve the lifespan of your work boot. It softens the leather fabric and prevents putting too much stress on the fabric as you walk with the work boots on your feet. Also, as the upper part of the boot becomes softer, it will quickly mold to meet your natural foot shape and movement. It improves your working comfort superbly.
You may apply the leather conditioner on the upper part of the work boot with a soft fabric. After that, you sh0ould leave the work boot in the open air to help it soak the conditioner for a couple of hours. It will soften the fabric and enhance your walking comfort.
Apply mink oil:
You may also choose mink oil instead of the leather conditioner to soften and break in your work boot with a gradual process. Mink oil is used widely in the hair and skincare industry as a cosmetic product to soften hair.
Applying the mink oil softener on the leather work boot will turn the hard leather into a soft and comfy one. Once you have applied mink oil on the upper part of the work boot, you need to leave it overnight. It helps in softening the boot better. Also, wipe off the excess mink oil and wear the work boots to find their comfort.
Nonetheless, we don’t suggest you use mink oil unless you don’t have other alternatives to break in your work boot. As PETA describes, mink oil is extracted from the mink tissues and may be associated with animal cruelty. So, if you are a vegan person, this is strongly discouraged.
Use warm water:
Another great way to break in the work boots is to apply warm water. The process is so simple that you will thank us for suggesting it. All you have to do is soak the boots in a bucket of warm water. You should soak the boots in the warm water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. It will depend on the type of leather and midsole your work boot has.
As you soak the work boots in warm water, it will soften the fabric and prevent blisters. Also, dry the work boot in open-air properly, ensuring no wet part is left. Now, wear the boots with socks and let them mold according to your feet’ shape.
You should be careful not to over-soak the work boots. Or it will damage the boot’s fabric and leave the boots unusable.
Use ice bags:
Ice bags are just the opposite of soaking the work boots in warm water. You need to take an ice bag with molten ice inside it. Put it inside the work boot and keep it in the freezer. The big will stretch as the ice molten ice starts freezing and expanding inside the work boot.
You need to keep the work boot in the fridge with the ice bags for a couple of hours. Then, you can take it away from the fridge and let it air dry. Also, you should wear work boots with thicker socks for the first few days and stretch them further to find the perfect fit for your feet.
Use a dryer:
When you soak work boots in warm water, the idea is to generate heat to soften the leather fabric. You can do the same with the dryer. You can use a hairdryer to properly heat and soften the work boot on all sides.
Ensure that the hairdryer is in standard heating condition. Also, don’t take the hairdryer too close to the lather fabric. Otherwise, it might burn and damage the fabric. As you apply heat with the hairdryer, make sure you apply the heat evenly on all sides of the work boot.
After that, keep the work boot in the open air and let it cool down before wearing it. You may need to apply the heat with the hairdryer multiple times to soften the fabric.
Apply rubbing alcohol:
Many people use rubbing alcohol to clean off the leather in different places, including boot’s leather. Most people don’t know that rubbing alcohol will also soften the leather slightly. Thus, you can rub the alcohol agent on the leather of the work boot and break it in with ease.
Moreover, rubbing alcohol will also help in soaking the excess odor which many new work boot pairs have. So, you will get 2-in-1 benefits with the work boot. Moreover, rubbing alcohol comes in a spray bottle, making it easy to apply. It is also affordable. We recommend you store the spray bottle with rubbing alcohol in the fridge to use in the future.
Use of newspaper and wet towel:
After a daylong use, many workers will use wet towels or newspapers to soak moisture and bad odor from their work boots. But, did you know that you may also break in the work boot with the wet towel and newspaper?
Yes, you can do it. Just insert the newspaper inside the work boot with an adequate amount. Dampen it in water for the towel and insert it inside your work boot. You need to leave the work boot overnight to help it stretch as much as possible.
Moreover, you should apply the newspaper or wet towel with the leather conditioner to yield the best results. Also, you may use boost stretching spray instead of the leather conditioner. It also delivers great stretching of the work boot.
Do’s and Don’ts for Breaking In Work Boots
Work boots should be comfy and flexible. Thus, breaking in the work boot is necessary, and for this, you need to maintain a few tricks and suggestions strictly.
- You should wear work boots for a few days at home before going to the workplace. It improves flexibility and freedom while walking or standing in the workplace.
- For the first few days, wear the boots with thicker socks. It will stop blisters and bunions.
- You should apply a leather conditioner to the upper part of the work boot. It helps in conditioning the boots and enhances their lifespan.
- When you wear the work boots regularly, keep them clean and apply oil. It helps them remain in good condition for an extended period.
- Always use two pairs of work boots alternatively. It will help you in maintaining them properly for a longer lifespan.
- When you choose the work boot, ensure it has a snug-fitting. If the boot fits too loose or tight, you will not enjoy wearing them.
- When you return home from the workplace, wear the boots off ASAP and let them air dry. It prevents germs and odor build-up and keeps the boots in fine condition.
- Don’t soak them in water when you buy the work boot, and it has broken in perfectly. Even if you clean them, ensure that you do it with the least water use.
- Never overlook the pinches and hot spots of the work boots. F9ix them without any delay.
- Don’t keep the work boots under direct sunlight. It can shrink the leather.
- When you wear work boots, don’t buy them if it fits too tight without the socks. The work boots should offer a nice and snug fit.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How should work boot fit?
The work boot should fit snuggly with your feet. If it feels too tight even without the socks, you should try one size up and see how it fits your feet. Also, check that the work boot has the right width.
How to stop hurting steel toe work boots?
Since steel toe is sturdy, it can hurt your feet. You can apply adhesive bandages on your feet to safeguard them from hurting. Also, try getting work boots with a roomier toe box for a comfortable wearing experience.
Is it normal for work boots to hurt?
Yes, work boots will hurt your feet slightly during the first few days. It takes a couple of days to break in, and until then, you may experience slight pain with them on your feet until they. So, you should break in ASAP and improve its flexibility.
Work boots will usually take a couple of days to break them in appropriately with the gradual process. However, you may apply mink oil, soak them in warm water or use a hairdryer to heat them to break in the work boots ASAP. The key is to find the right fitting and enhance the boots’ flexibility. It will help you walk, stand, and run comfortably in workplaces without worries.